We’re fast, flexible, innovative and bursting at the seams with people passionate about music, radio and technology. We’re growing at a rapid pace and seeking enthusiastic, creative, intelligent and fun individuals to join us in a variety of roles.
"We have a diverse, talented team and interesting problems requiring creative solutions."
Our Data team is looking to add a smart, all-round Database Administrator to maintain and develop the databases that sit at the heart of 7digital’s entertainment empire. The successful candidate will support our team of developers, reporting/BI developers, and operations teams in finding and implementing solutions to keep 7digital at the cutting edge.
Your primary focus will be on the maintenance and development of B2B and B2C digital media services - including download, streaming and radio streaming models - within a fast-changing industry.
Problem-solving and helping to find durable, pragmatic ways forward - short-term and long-term - is key, so getting on well with people and displaying a positive attitude to tackling tasks is essential. You care about working hard, taking personal responsibility for your contributions, while also buying into a team ethos based around adherence to high standards, best practices, sharing knowledge and mutual support. Whether you’re approaching a new technology or performing a basic assignment you’ve encountered many times before, you apply yourself thoroughly and with integrity.
You will find working in a hectic industry invigorating (rather than infuriating!) and demonstrate a passion for music, video, digital media and a healthy knowledge of the entertainment business.
● 7digital Ltd. is a leading digital media delivery company based in London and operating globally.
● We provide digital services to over 60 partners including Musical.ly, i.am.+, HMV, Technics, Universal Music, Warner Music, Sony and have delivered millions of digital products in over 45 countries.
● With the growth of popularity of streaming services, over 15 million customers now use our services each week. We’re logging millions of streams every day at a rapidly increasing rate. That’s plenty of data to be looking after.
● We have exceptional relationships within the music industry; we have a fully licensed catalogue of over 50 million tracks, giving us the broadest reach in the world.
● We have a culture that finds time for both hard work and creative expression and we care about the people we work with.
We’re looking for someone with a solid background in T-SQL and MS SQL Server - preferably SQL Server 2014 and/or 2016 - who is comfortable working across multiple databases, servers and environments.
You will demonstrate the ability to interpret and enhance monitoring, identifying server and database performance issues. You will head off potential issues before they become problems, and deal with unanticipated situations in a timely and apposite fashion, calling on a cool poise when under pressure.
You will be able to write T-SQL code that is clean, efficient and rigorously tested to function accurately and optimally. You will be proficient in interpreting existing SQL code and SSIS packages and diagnosing any problems contained therein. You will be capable of working with stakeholders to create business requirements that are concise and unambiguous, and deliver robust solutions to meet them.
Key requirements for the role include:
● Database and server maintenance, including security, backups, upgrades, monitoring and High Availability.
● Superior SQL Developer skills
● Performance tuning and query optimisation with a comprehensive understanding of indexes and query plans.
● Understanding of best practices in database architecture, including appropriate deployment of data types, keys and constraints.
● Managing transactional replication
● Troubleshooting and creating SSIS packages, notably to support ETL processes.
There is scope to participate in the team’s engagement with progressive and complementary technologies - e.g., cloud computing, other SQL languages (e.g. Postgres), the Apache Kafka platform - and delivering BI objectives. Exposure to these areas would be welcome, though the core of this role will be working with Microsoft SQL Server and T-SQL.
7digital is a global enterprise, and digital entertainment never sleeps, so you will be expected to provide support outside of UK business hours as necessary.
We are a very collaborative organisation that utilises Agile methodologies in our day-to-day working environment. Familiarity with this kind of working environment and being happy to work in this manner is highly beneficial.
● MS SQL Server
● SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
How to Apply
If you’re interested, send an email with your CV and a cover note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
7digital is transforming the listening experience for music fans, like you. Our robust, scalable digital music platform and flexible APIs are used to power comprehensive music and radio services for leading consumer brands, mobile carriers, broadcasters, automotive systems, retailers, record labels, artists and agencies. Alongside great technology, we offer global music rights, award-winning radio production services, and content management expertise, making us a leading global partner in this industry.
Working at 7digital, you'll have the opportunity to work with well-known brands and companies. Over the years, we have delivered services for multinationals such as Samsung and T-Mobile through to start-ups. Right now we are engaged in a number of interesting projects for global partners such as will.i.am, Technics and musical.ly. 7digital are also the largest independent producer of radio programming for the BBC (including the Radcliffe & Maconie Show and Sounds of the Sixties).
We’re working at significant scale – our API Platform is handling billions of requests per month and growing quickly. You’ll be joining an enthusiastic team who enjoy what they do. Things like Pair Programming, TDD/BDD, Refactoring, Retrospectives and Continuous Delivery are deeply embedded and we’re constantly striving to improve the way we work. We know typing is not the bottleneck, so there are plenty of other things going on:
● You can take part in regular weekly sessions sharing ideas, doing Katas/Dojos and discussing practices and technologies.
● You will get up to two days “innovation time” a month to investigate new technologies or product ideas.
● As a member of the team, you will be able to play an active role in shaping the architecture and tech stack underpinning our platform. The tech team defines the solutions to the problems we are asked to solve.
● You can attend conferences and community events, both as a participant or contributor - we’ve presented/run sessions at XP2016, QCon, SPA, Strata + Hadoop World, Agile Cambridge, Agile Manchester, APIdays, XPDay, Agile on the Beach and many others.
● You can help us host our own popular community event – Devs in the ‘ditch.
You care about software; you have a passion for what you do which you can clearly convey by your actions rather than just waffly personal statements on your CV. For you it’s more than a job. You like to pick the right tool for the task at hand.
You believe software development involves a lot more than just writing code. You see it as your remit to really understand our domain so we can all deliver as much value to the business as possible. When you do write code you believe it has to be done really well. To you, quality (both internal and external) really matters. These are things we really care about.
Experience otherwise is relative – 2 years working in an agile/XP manner is worth much more to us than 5 in a traditional environment. If you’ve not got working experience with things like TDD (Test Driven Development) and refactoring (maybe you’ve always wanted to but your current job doesn’t allow for it) show us you’re at least familiar with the concepts and that you really want to work in this kind of environment and you’re still in with a good chance.
Technology you'll get to use
Our production systems predominantly use C# on Windows. We also make use of Linux and have some applications in Python and Ruby. We use a mixture of AWS and Google Cloud Platform, based around a distributed data architecture with Apache Kafka at the heart. We’d be interested in you if you’re from any background as long as you have a keen understanding of good programming practices. We have a strong devops culture and like to use services that help us create great products; from CDNs to monitoring to anomaly detection. We’d expect you to be proficient in more than one technology stack. Here’s a sample list of technologies we currently use:
● C#, Python, Ruby
● REST, Queues, Relational Databases, Document Databases
● Infrastructure as code - Chef, AWS CloudFormation
● Windows, Linux, Docker
● SQL Server, Solr/Lucene/Elasticsearch, Redis, Postgres, RabbitMQ and Varnish, Kafka, Spark, Nginx
● Share Options.
● Pension (up to 3% matched contribution).
● Season Ticket Loan, Childcare vouchers, Cycle to work scheme
● Volunteer days: up to 3 paid days per year to do volunteering work for a registered charity.
● Friday beers, free coffee and a variety of teas, free fruit, lots of social activities (think cheese club, gaming nights, bake-offs...).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.
If you’re interested, send an email with your CV and a cover note to email@example.com, ensuring that the subject field contains the following text: “Application for Developer”.
Your cover note should include:
● What are your motivations and what matters to you?
● Why would you like to join 7digital?
● Where you found us (a job ad, conference, hackday, meeting one of us)
● Links to any account/s on GitHub/Google code etc.
● Any blogs & email groups you read or would recommend.
● Any communities & events you attend or are involved with.
● Any technical books you’ve read that stood out.
● Links to Twitter/LinkedIn/personal websites/blogs.
● How do you stay up to date?
7digital is transforming the listening experience for music fans like you. Our robust, scalable digital music platform and flexible APIs are used to power comprehensive music and radio services for leading consumer brands, mobile carriers, broadcasters, automotive systems, retailers, record labels, artists and agencies. Alongside great technology, we offer global music rights, award-winning radio production services, and content management expertise, making us a leading global partner in this industry.
Working at 7digital, you'll have the opportunity to work with well-known brands and companies. Over the years, we have delivered services for multinationals such as Samsung, Blackberry and T-Mobile as well as for leaner start-ups such as Turntable.fm and Who Sampled. You will be able to experience the interaction between streaming and radio as we are also the largest independent producer of radio programming for the BBC (including the Radcliffe & Maconie Show and Sounds of the Sixties).
Right now we are engaged in a number of very exciting wearable projects for will.i.am through i.am+, high resolution audio services with Onkyo, Technics and Meridian, video messaging with musical.ly along with developing streaming products for ROK Mobile.
We are looking for a talented and enthusiastic Sys Admin / Network Engineer who is keen to work – in a collaborative manner – on a high availability and high demand system building a robust, reliable and automated platform which can cope with scaling up to meet an ever increasing demand. Our infrastructure is handling billions of requests per month (and growing).
You have experience (plus CCNA or equivalent qualification) managing multi-sites enterprise networks and systems. You see it as your remit to really understand our domain so we can all deliver as much value to the business as possible. When you do build something you believe it has to be done really well. To you, quality (both internal and external) really matters. These are things we really care about.
You are a fan of continuous improvement and see high availability of high demand, distributed systems as an area ripe to demonstrate your experience. You love Linux but also see how Windows can inter-operate sanely.
You appreciate the differences between “using someone else’s computers” and co-located data centers, and are comfortable moving between the two options.
We’re pretty technology agnostic and are looking for people who aren’t religious about one platform or another, but more interested in being given the opportunity to solve interesting problems with other smart, passionate people. The work opportunities are broad:
Here’s the obligatory tick-list of technology names - you don’t have to have experience in all of them, and you may not get to see some of them:
Day-to-day, this job will involve working in a highly collaborative manner with everyone in the organisation, particularly our other technology team members. You’ll be improving the way we collaborate and get things done. A mixture of working with other teams on AWS and GCP infrastructure and operations, looking after our large storage systems and virtualised data centre environment, while also making occasional visits to our data centres to do things we can’t do remotely. We manage work through a prioritised backlog of tasks with rotation onto a Point of Contact role to cover reactive and unplanned jobs - we try and minimise chaos so there’s always a good purpose for you doing what you’re doing.
There’s a sane, paid (and voluntary) out-of-hours on-call rota (for emergencies only). This job does not involve IT Desktop Support; we already have people who are great at that.
If you’re interested, send an email with your CV and a cover note to firstname.lastname@example.org, ensuring that the subject field contains the following text: “7digital: I am applying for Network Engineer / Sys Admin”.
Your cover note should include:
There are normally 3 stages:
Aside from working with a team of inspiring people on the cutting edge of the music industry, you can look forward to our healthy benefits package which includes perks such as volunteer days, share options and family friendly schemes.